AboutFace has developed specific support services to Empower, Encourage and Educate members as they embrace living with a facial difference. Support means different things to different people. From sharing personal experiences to finding resources online, all this contributes to the feeling that you’re not alone.
AboutFace Community Representatives are our team of dedicated volunteers who help to promote the work of AboutFace and plan regular Parent Connection Meetings to support families of children with facial differences. These informal gatherings are a wonderful way to meet other families in your area. AboutFace get-togethers can range from play date group gatherings, to picnics to an afternoon of bowling. Our goal is to build local networks of support and facilitate friendships.
For Information On AboutFace Activities & Awareness In Your Community Please Contact:
Leanne Popko in Calgary, AB at firstname.lastname@example.org
Hailey Pinksen in Lethbridge, AB at email@example.com
Krista Nicholson in Winnipeg, MB at firstname.lastname@example.org
Lisa Sooley in St. John's, NL at email@example.com
AboutFace holds 3 monthly workshop calls; one for Adults with a Facial Difference, one for Parents of a Child with a Facial Difference and one for Adults with an Acquired Facial Difference. The purpose of these calls is to:
Next Adult Workshop Date (EST)
Wednesday May 16th Time: 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM
Wednesday June 19th Time: 8:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Next Parent Workshop Date (EST)
Thursday May 10th Time: 6:30 PM - 7:30 PM
Thursday June 20th Time: 6:30 - 6:30 PM
Please let us know in advance:
1) If you will be joining the call
2) Your name
3) Your medical condition
4) You can reach AboutFace at 1-800-665-3223 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Join the Conference Call:
1) Dial the “conference dial in number” 1-866-613-5223 or 1-416-204-9354
2) When prompted, enter the “conference access code” 1263325, followed by “#”
3) Wait for the conference call chairperson to join the call for it to begin, you will hear music on the line until the chairperson joins the call and then everyone will be connected
At AboutFace, linking families, adults and teenagers who share similar concerns is one of our most important programs. For each of us, connecting with someone who understands can be the first step in accepting yourself and your facial difference. Knowing you are not alone is empowering and builds a foundation of acceptance and support.
Families tell us "...for the first time we knew other people who had the same worries and fears for their child." Many adult members tell us that for the first time, they have found someone who "really understands."
Connecting with someone who understands provides families and individuals with:
- A grounding experience that validates concerns and feelings
- An empowering strength to create confidence and self acceptance
- An outlet to reduce anxiety, fear and loneliness
- An opportunity to open doors to information and community access
- A "buddy" to have honest and open discussions
- A chance to share and relate medical information and experiences
We connect AboutFace members from across Canada and internationally through our Networking Programs.
To register for Peer-to-Peer networking, please complete the general registration form and check off “Peer-to-Peer networking”.